One of the reasons to love summer is the number of Brewfests that emerge nation-wide. Last week it was Philadelphia Brewery Week and I discovered just how many craft brewers are in the vicinity!
Then Saturday night, I was part of The Florida Aquarium’s SudsFest 2010 to raise money for programs and events put on by the not-for-profit Florida Aquarium in Tampa, FL. Can you believe in the once Anheuser Busch stronghold of Tampa Bay, we now have Pepin Distributors bringing in over 35 craft brews from across the nation?
Here’s a sampling of the “new” beers on the Florida menu (from the SudsFest Beer Menu) which I know are available at both Publix (the larger ones) and also at Total Wine: (note: ABV means Alcohol By Volume and is expressed as a %)
- Vermont: Magic Hat #9 – ABV= 5.1 (www.magichat.net)
- Vermont: Magic Hat’s summer seasonal: Wacko Amber Ale – ABV= 4.5 (www.magichat.net)
- Pennsylvania: Blue Point Toaster Amber Lager -ABV= 5.5 (www.bluepointbrewing.com)
- Pennsylvania: Blue Point Hoptical Illusion (American Pale Ale) -ABV=6.3 (www.bluepointbrewing.com)
- California: Gordon Biersch Marzen Auburn Lager -ABV=5.6 (www.gordonbiersch.com)
- California: Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock -ABV= 7 (www.gordonbiersch.com)
- New York: Southern Tier 422 Pale Wheat -ABV=5 (www.southerntierbrewing.com)
- New York: Southern Tier Pale Ale -ABV=6 (www.southerntierbrewing.com)
- Oregon: Widmer Hefeweizen -ABV=4.9 (www.craftbrewers.com)
- Oregon: Widmer Drifter Pale Ale -ABV=5.7 (www.craftbrewers.com)
- Hawaii: Kona Brewing Firerock Pale Ale -ABV=5.8 (www.konabrewingco.com)R
- Washington State: Red Hook Brewery Longhammer IPA -ABV=6.5 (www.redhook.com)
Obviously absent was any appearance by Sam Adam’s Brewing Company or Rogue Breweries (also available in Florida grocery stores!)
It’s so great now that the former lobbyists who were so intent on keeping Florida an Anheuser state are now less powerful and we can finally join the nation in raising a craft brewery toast to the microbrewery industry!
This weekend, I venture to NYC for their annual Brewery Festival on Governor’s Island.
Until next week,