No, Dorothy, you’re in craft beer heaven – Tampa Bay, Florida!
(And with hurricane and tornado season upon us, it’s going to be a lot more tasty to have hurricane parties with great locals suds!)
Even though it gets “Hotter than Hell(es)” here in the summer,
Tampa Bay is emerging as a craft beer destination with hundreds of festivals, sports, art shows, and entertainment events FEATURING local craft beers!
Let me give you a quick update, Dorothy… and dispel a few stereotypes you might have about Arts and Beers and Crafts – oh my!
Less than six months ago when I published the post “From God’s Waiting Room to God’s Tasting Room – the Brewformation of St Petersburg,” there’s been a literal plethora (translation: onslaught!!!) of craft beer inspirations and events on both sides of the bay.
It’s been a crazy six months, and here’s a short list of what’s been happening:
- Proclamations from both St Petersburg and Tampa City Councils recognizing Tampa Bay Beer Week;
- Both the Lightning hockey arena in Tampa and Rays baseball stadium in St Petersburg now feature an array of local craft beers on tap;
- Localtopia (Keep St Petersburg Local huge downtown community festival), 5 Events for 5 Years – Celebration of I love the Burg,
- Forbes travel guide featured months ago The Beer Project by the Museum of Fine Arts,
- local craft beer on tap, new brewpubs and brewery openings, and wonderful new tap houses and restaurants and beach bars featuring local craft brews,
- The Beer Project by the St Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts – a home brewing competition, public tasting, professional beer launches, and beer “crafts” featuring an author and crafts-person from Seattle, WA,
- More and more national attention on the emerging Florida brewing scene.
In the coming weeks, additional art and beer events are scheduled – some include marketplaces for purchasing beer-inspired products; while others feature rare brews (the TBBW Halfway There Rare Beer Festival on Sept 6, and the Ale & the Witch’s Rare Beer and Music Festival on Sept 13) or a music slant. We keep expanding and growing in the Tampa Bay area – we’re becoming a beer tourism mecca – just don’t tell the FL senate (they would never believe you!)
Happy and safe imbibing!