The best part of the evening (at least for me) was not the education, but rather the opportunity to taste and sample over 14 Belgian imported Craft Beers and Domestic Belgian-style offerings for a mere $15.USD! (Each retails at about $6.99-$12.99 USD for a 750 ml bottle.)
Chris was our local Beer Expert from Total Wine who led us through a PowerPoint presentation about the various Belgian beer styles, as we sampled a variety of Craft Brews both imported or domestic – all specifically Belgian in style. Chris was both knowledgeable and approachable as he led an interactive discussion about our observations as we sampled each brew.
This was my first encounter with the Total Wine’s Beer education nights (the St. Petersburg store seems to feature more classes than other stores!) – and I’ll be back.
It was definitely a worthwhile investment – we had a small group (about 15 people of the maximum 30 class size) and Total Wine provided the beers and a selection of cheeses, breads/crackers, and savory meatballs. These proved to be a good way to begin pairing food and tastes with various beer styles.
I’ve included the St. Petersburg Total Wine education classes calendar excerpt and a link and phone number where you can register for classes at the end of this post. If you live elsewhere, simply visit www.totalwine.com and you can see what beer classes are offered in your area.
Beers we Sampled…
Here are some photos of a few of the Belgian and Belgian-style domestic beers we tasted during the January 19, 2012 evening class. All of these were available for purchase at Total Wine in 750ml bottles on the evening of the event:
Additional beers that were sampled (but not pictured) included:
- Belgian IPA Le Chouffe Houblon (Belgium)
- Quad(rupel) St. Bernardus (Belgium, ABV 10%)
- 7venth Sun Midnight Moonlight Berliner Weisse (US, ABV 5%) – growler. Note: this was not a Belgian style brew but we had the opportunity to sample this Tampa Bay local offering as a bonus!
Upcoming St. Petersburg Total Wine beer classes (2012 Jan – April):
- Sat. Jan 21,2012 (3-5PM) – Belgian Classics
- Sat. Feb 18,2012 (3-5PM) – Lagers and Ales beyond Pilsners and Pales
- Thurs. Mar 22, 2012 (6:30-8:30PM) – Introduction to Beer: Get Your Suds On!
- Sat. Mar 24, 2012 (3-5PM) – Introduction to Beer: Get Your Suds On!
- Sat. Apr 21, 2012 (3-5PM) – Great Breweries Great Beers
To register for these upcoming Beer Classes, reserve your place by calling Total Wine St Petersburg, FL at 727-544-6018. Each session is $15. payable the day/evening of class.
Have a great weekend!
A Girl who Likes Brews