The very mention of the city conjures up thoughts of the Boston Bruins (sorry guys, you were sooo close to win the Stanley Cup in 2013!), Red Sox (actually I have to cheer for Tampa Bay Rays!), lobsters, seafood, long summer nights, accents (“I’ll go paak the caa”), festivals, food, and… a burgeoning Craft Beer industry!
Having said this, it is no big surprise that the 4th annual Beer Bloggers Conference (twitter hashtag #BBC13) found its way to Boston this past weekend (July 26-28, 2013) beating out cities such as Asheville, NC (up and coming in the NE!) and other contenders.
And what a weekend it was!
Here’s a slideshow to give you a visual idea…
Third time’s a Charm!
This was my 3rd (of 4) BBC’s hosted by Zephyr Adventures – previous conferences were held in Boulder CO (2010), Portland, OR (2011), Indianapolis (2012) – and it was clear that the growing pains of previous years are gone. This year’s event was seemingly flawless with great weather in Boston (high 70s) topping it off and over 150 attendees representing bloggers (hobbyists to professionals), brewers (from around the US and including Florida Beer Company,) brewing associations (Cicerone certification, National Brewers Association and others), distributors and retailers.
One of the most glorious things about the Beer Bloggers Conference (there are many!) is that the 150+ attendees check their egos (and their full time professions) at the door as we all come together to collectively share a common passion – CRAFT BEER!
The proof was in the pudding, so to speak, as such industry luminaries as Jim Koch, founder of Samuel Adams brewery –currently the largest US-owned, nationally distributed brewery in the US, and Julia Herz of the Brewers Association and CraftBeer.com – co-mingled and talked “shop” with all of us. The event started Friday afternoon at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel (some attended the “pre” conference excursion in Maine on Thursday night) – with a trade show, followed by a trip to Sam Adams R&D brewery/center in Boston and a night out hosted by Heavy Seas brewing at Stoddard’s bar. Throughout the weekend, various breweries and distributors hosted / entertained / spoke / poured for us until we had to say our fond goodbyes just after noon on Sunday.
Takeaways / highlights from BBC 13:
In no particular order:
- Being able to talk “craft beer” with people who are not intimidated to drink non-mass produced malt beverages. We talked flavors, styles, brewing techniques, food pairings, favorites, best local bars, geography, trends, social media – and nothing to do with the stresses of everyday life (minimal talk about problems with kids, jobs, finances…) — just pure passionate discussions about craft beer!
- Positive talk all day, all night – about a hobby I love!
- Upbeat people who came to Boston to share experiences and offer best practices about blogging, writing, monetizing, short cuts, in other words – helping each other to become successful in beer blogging and in life;
- Sampling new brews, meeting new people, exchanging experiences, discovering new ways to share our passion about craft beer;
- Learning what works and doesn’t work about blogging technologies, tools, widgets, platforms, all the IT stuff that goes along with writing and publishing;
- Visiting the breweries, Boston pubs, distributors, and seeing a bit of Boston by bus;
- Lots of fun photo opportunities (see slideshow above);
- Meeting other Florida people who are also passionate about the industry;
- Finding out that my personality + what I already know about craft beer + a personal way of writing = priceless results;
- Getting inspired to write more, blog more, get out more!
Thank you to all of our sponsors and our great organizers at Zephyr Adventures for their generous support of the conference. You rock!
– See more at: http://beerbloggersconference.org/#sthash.kF0079O4.dpuf
I can’t wait for BBC14 (site and dates being finalized) – it’s going to be another awesome time with great people!
- Beer Bloggers Conference Presentation (roundpeg.biz)
- Beer Bloggers Conference 2013 – Part 1 (2beerguys.com)
- Nora’s Beer Blog: Kate the Great and Utopia (nolabeerblog.com)
- Beer Bloggers Conference
- FBC #BBC13 Recap (blog.FloridaBeer.com)
- The 2013 Beer Bloggers Conference (RaisingtheBarStool.blogspot.com)